What does it mean to be vegan?
A vegan is someone that does not eat or use animal products.
What is a Whole Food Plant Based Lifestyle?
A Whole Food Plant Based lifestyle includes nutrient dense whole foods that are made up of whole fruits, vegetables, legumes, whole grains, nuts, seeds, and herbs. This way of eating provides an abundance of fiber, nutrients, vitamins and water. WFPB also minimizes heavily processed foods (meaning foods with added sugars, artificial sweeteners, or added fats.) Check labels on anything boxed, canned or bagged!
The overall goal of eating this way is to simplify your meals.
Benefits of a Whole Food Plant Based Lifestyle?
Adapting a whole, minimally processed plant-based lifestyle is beneficial for our overall health.
1. Plant based diets have been linked to a number of health benefits, including reduced risk of cancers, obesity, heart disease, and diabetes.
2. Increased intake of beneficial dietary enzymes, nutrients and fiber.
3. You may notice weight loss without restricting calories, and the ability to discontinue medications (talk to your doctor beforehand.)
4. Healthier and hydrated skin.
5. More energy and a clearer mind.
I think the best thing you can do during your plant based journey is to stay educated. Read as much as you can, watch Netflix documentaries, and gather enough information where you are able to form your own opinion. My favorite documentaries are Forks Over Knives, Cowspiracy, Earthlings, Fed Up, and What The Health. These documentaries will open your eyes and give you a better understanding of what is happening in the world around you.
A few of my favorite books include: Whole, The China Study, Medical Medium, and Keep it Simple Keep it Whole. (I have linked all of these in the Favorites tab.)